Learn More About Us!
We know choosing a medical provider is a big decision. We’d love for you to become part of our family, so here are some answers to the questions you might have as a new patient. If you have any questions that aren’t answered here, feel free to contact us.
About Apicha Community Health Center
Clinic Directions and Hours
Apicha CHC has two locations: one in Manhattan and one in Queens.
- Address: 400 Broadway, New York, NY 10013
- Hours: Monday - Friday 9:00 am — 5:30 pm. Closed on Saturday and Sunday.
- Directions: We are accessible by the A, C, E, N, Q, R, J, Z, and 6 trains to the Canal St. Stop and by the 1 train at the Franklin Stop.
Jackson Heights, Queens Location:
- Address: 82-11 37th Ave. Jackson Heights-Queens, NY 11372
- Hours: Monday - Friday 9:00 am — 5:30 pm. Closed on Saturday and Sunday.
- Directions: We are one block away from the 7 train stop at 82nd Street. We are also a short walk from the 74th St/Roosevelt Ave/Jackson Hts stop, which you can get to using the 7, E, F, M, and R trains.
Why should I trust Apicha?
Apicha has been committed to providing culturally competent, low-cost quality services for over 30 years. We are a safe space for everyone, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, race, ability, income level, citizenship status, and more. We never turn away a person in need, no matter their insurance status or ability to pay.
Some Quick Features:
- Easy to schedule appointments
- No waiting time
- Experienced medical providers
- Bilingual providers and staff
- Clean and beautiful health center
- Convenient Location
- After-hours Answering Service with Apicha Provider on call for Urgent Medical Issues
How do I contact Apicha after hours?
How do I schedule an appointment?
Is Apicha just a clinic for gay men?
While Apicha remains committed to keeping these communities healthy, we also are committed to keeping the residents of the neighborhoods in which we reside
How can I contact my doctor?
Check out the Apicha CHC Patient Portal!
The Patient Portal is a secure and convenient way to communicate with your medical provider, ask for a medication refill, review your visit summary, your lab results and receive important health information and education.
What level of care will I receive at Apicha?
Our patients’ health is our top priority; that is why 83% of our hypertensive patients have their blood pressure under control. In fact, 91% of our patients would recommend us to their friends and family!
What should I expect during my first visit?
At the end of the visit, you will have labs done and you will be scheduled to return within 1-2 weeks to have a complete physical exam and to go over the lab results with your medical provider.
Apicha CHC Services
What Primary Care Services can I receive at Apicha?
• You will get regular check-ups for diabetes, cholesterol, blood pressure.
• You will get necessary vaccines and cancer screenings appropriate for you.
• If you smoke we can work with you to help you stop smoking.
• Medication prescriptions and assistance with prior authorizations.
• You will be screened for depression and anxiety. If needed, you will have access to Apicha’s on-site Behavioral Health Specialists.
• You can get a same or next day appointment when you are sick and you will be seen by a provider that knows you.
• You can see our Registered Dietitian for nutrition counseling and weight management.
• For the things we cannot address at Apicha, we will help you find a specialist and help coordinate your care.
• You may have access to reduced cost medication.
What services does the Transgender Health Program provide?
Specific services include: initiation and maintenance of hormone therapy; annual physicals; regular checkups for diabetes; cholesterol, blood pressure, HIV and STD testing; vaccines.
Annual behavioral health assessments and short-term counseling if needed or referral for ongoing therapy. Our case managers can also help you with many things from finding helping you with name and gender marker changes to helping you get transgender affirming surgeries if that is what you choose.
What HIV/STD Testing Services does Apicha provide?
What HIV+ Health Services does Apicha offer?
All our medical providers are also specializing in HIV – you do not have to worry about being identified as HIV positive by seeing a particular provider. Your dedicated provider will take care not only of your HIV but any other medical condition you might have. This way, you don’t need to see multiple doctors and you can be sure that you are in good hands.
You will get regular checkups for diabetes, cholesterol, blood pressure, STDs. You will get necessary vaccines and cancer screenings appropriate for you. Getting your HIV care at Apicha also means receiving annual mental health and nutrition assessments and counseling if needed. Our dedicated case managers that will help you manage your disease. An example of our excellent HIV work is the fact that 92% of our patients have a suppressed Viral Load.
Anal Cancer Prevention Program: We offer patients anal cancer screening and consultation.
What Family Planning Services does Apicha offer?
What Behavioral Health Services does Apicha offer?
What Community Services does Apicha provide?
Health Insurance Enrollment: If you are uninsured we can help you find out if you qualify for insurance and we can help you get an insurance that is right for you. If you do not qualify for insurance, you might be eligible for state programs like ADAP and PrEP AP.
Food Stamp Enrollment (SNAP): If you have a hard time making ends meet and do not have enough money to buy food for you and your family, our staff can help apply for the SNAP, formerly known as food stamps.
Does Apicha help with transportation?
Does Apicha provide services for people who don't speak English?
Insurance & Billing
What insurance providers does Apicha accept?
We take Medicaid, Medicare, and most commercial insurances. You can get more information by calling our clinic. If you decide to make Apicha your medical home, please bring your insurance card and photo ID at your first visit. If you don’t have health insurance, our staff can help you find if you qualify for insurance and they will help you get insurance that is right for you.
Below you’ll find a list of the major commercial insurance plans Apicha accepts. We are always working to accept additional insurance plans, if you don’t see your plan listed, please call us to see if we accept your plan.
- BCBS HealthPlus (Medicaid)
- Emblem HIP-(Prime, Select) GHI HMO
- GHI PPO
- Oxford (Freedom, Liberty, Metro & Garden)
- UHC Community Plan
- VNSNY Choice
If I don't have health insurance and can't pay for my medical services, will Apicha still see me?
Yes! At Apicha, we offer services to anyone regardless of their ability to pay or insurance status. If you are uninsured or underinsured, we offer a low cost/sliding-fee scale option based on your income. This means that if your income is below 200% of the federal poverty guidelines, your visit fees will range from $20 to $75. Prescription and lab fees are not included in this fee and will be an additional cost.
Patients living with HIV may be eligible for services under the Ryan White Early Intervention Service Program, Part C. Eligible patients are exempt from Apicha’s nominal service charge.
How do I provide proof of income?
Apicha Patient Pharmacy
Does Apicha have a pharmacy?
How do I get my prescription refilled?
The best way to request a refill is to send us a refill request through the Patient Portal.
Please remember it will take 1 business day to refill a prescription, and up to 3-4 additional days if a prior authorization is required by your insurance. To ensure you do not run out of medications, we recommend that you send us your request at least 5 days before you run out of medicine.